Saturday, June 21, 2008

Day of Doctors

Yesterday we spent half the day visiting doctors. Our first and most exciting one was for the cast removal. Dustan was so giddy. After 10 minutes of the nurse sawing thru the thickly layered cast, Dustan's leg felt fresh air for the first time in 6 weeks.

The stitches looked gross and needed to be cleaned up a bit, but otherwise it wasn't terrible looking. He could hardly move his leg though because the muscles were so out of shape. They got a knee brace for him, and he is to walk in full extension (and so continued use of the crutches is necessary) and then he can have a 40 degree movement range whilst sitting. It has swollen up again and he said it's rather stiff. He is scheduled to do physical therapy for the next 3 weeks to hep regain his strength and mobility. His foot is itching him a lot too, as all the calluses are peeling off from not being used. Ewwww....

In other news, I decided to go see the doc about my head injury from last week as I was still feeling a lot of pressure on the oneside of my head on Thursday, which was more than a week since I fell. The doc confirmed that it was, after all, a concussion, and he rated it a 2nd degree concussion-- whatever that means. He said that the force I received was equivalent to injuries incurred by football players and requires a 3o day no impact, lots of rest recovery plan. He said if I bump my head at all- even a slight bump or if I see spots or faint again that I must immediately go in and get a catscan. The main problem- the possibility of bleeding in the brain and a multitude of ill effects from it. So, I guess I have another 20 days to go before I go bungee jumping. ; )

No comments: