Saturday, December 6, 2008

Hunting Christmas Trees

On the hunt for that perfect Christmas tree, we soon discovered we wouldn't be so lucky as to find it at the first place we tried. We had stopped at the local tree farm, Brown's, to spy the lucky specimen for the right price. We deemed that the average going rate of $45 was too much for our pockets, and was at least trying to stay under $40, and be one that was fresh cut- not sitting there for a week or more.

So, down the street we drove to the next nearest place, Shiloh's Nursery. Much to our dismay, the gate was closed- we had missed entry by just 15 minutes. Sigh. Think. Think. Think. Where would they be selling fresh cut trees on a snowy Saturday- after 5pm? Hmmm.... the only places I could think of were in Dover, where we used to live. Dustan grumbled a few times, "I don't want to drive that far," as if 15 minutes was a long time for a person who drives an hour each way to work. But neither one of us could think of places here on our side of town, so we headed that way.

I encouraged him to go back to the nursery, "at that one intersection we used to drive by all the time- you go down that one road with the Rutters on-- you know!!!" But he swore he didn't know what I was talking about. He drove that way anyway, and soon he remembered. They were open. That's a plus. But after browsing their selection, that was a definate no go for us. Frasiers. And Douglas Firs. That's all they had. Now, I've always wanted a Frasier tree. I love them, with the compact branches and the blue tinted underside. But, as popular as they have become, they still are not exactly affordable, and so, this year I am without again. Ah. The small things in life, right?

Piling the kids back in the van the third time was not going so well. They wanted to go home and sit in front of the fireplace and watch a movie. Eat dinner was getting up there on the priority list too, as it was now going on 6pm.

Dustan started driving again. The wrong way. This was definately not the way home- but he insisted it was. Obviously he had thought of something else to check out, but why do men have a problem just saying so, instead of skirting the issue. They always avoid saying, I think this and such. They always have to KNOW what they're doing. But not like the way women have to KNOW-- you know what I mean??? I think the ladies definately do!

So next we stopped by Stauffers in Dover. Ah, still open. We walk in, Nathaniel being threatened and dragged at this point. Ariel was trekking thru the fresh falling snow, trying to keep up with me, and run in circles at the same time. Nice selection. A few possibilities. But wait, what did they just say? "Attention Customers. It is now 5:55. The store will be closing in 5 minutes. Please bring your selections to the register. Thankyou." Now the pressure's on. I'm getting hit with snowballs, giggles from behind me... where is Dustan? Where is our tree??? I yell for him. He shows up around the corner. Sigh. He doesn't like the one I found. It's a frasier, but for only $20. You know what that means- yup. It's not fresh cut. So, it's a no go for us 'cause we don't want a dead tree on Christmas.

Back into the van we go, and now we've agreed that we'll just go to a cut your own tree place tomorrow after lunch. But I'm thinking he doesn't REALLY want to cut down a tree.... He drives on... and oh, hey, there's Hakes' where they sell trees. Do they have any this year (peering through the darkness and thru foggy windows)? Yup!

This time I told him to go browse while I stayed with the kids in the car. If he found anything he liked, he'd come get me. Well, about 5 minutes later he did. And so the munchkins *gasp* stayed in the (not running and locked) car, while I went to see. And yes, hooray for us, we found a satisfactory specimen! Aren't you excited? We were! And tomorrow we get to wrestle the tree into the perfect spot in our home. Ah, the hunt for the Christmas tree was just as long, cold and torturous as I remember!

1 comment:

Jane said...

Cool!

Christmas tree hunting is on my list for this week too, tho I am unlikely to be pelted by snowballs whilst on my search :-))