Friday, April 11, 2008

Thunderstorm

Oh, how I love thunderstorms! And we are finally getting our first American thunderstorm in about 2 years. The kids don't remember ever seeing one as it is quite rare to have one in Germany, and they always took place in the evening after they were asleep. Especially with the cement walls and roladens, they were clueless to the crazy activity outside.

Just as I was finishing up the last post, in rolled a thunderstorm. The wind picked up and the lightning flashed, followed by, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, thunder. Ariel came bursting out of her room, "Mom, I'm scared!" And just what are you scared of? I told her that it was just a lightning show that tried to make different shades of night and pictures with the shadows. Then she thought it was cool.

After returning for only a minute, she came running back out to me in excitement, but shut the door to her room behind her, leaving poor Nathaniel by himself in the dark room. He immediately screamed and starting balling and ran out of the room, so scared. Ah, my not-so-brave little boy. He wasn't convinced that it was cool to watch, and so, MawMaw came to the rescue and said they could sleep in her room for awhile and then she'd put them to bed later. You see, their room is on the back corner of the house, so it gets the wind and rain from both sides.

Now that I'm finishing up this post, the storm is almost passed, with the lightning far off in the distance and the thunder even further. The rain has stopped its' pouring on the earth, and the calm after the storm is here. But I can hear my babies chatting away in their sleepover. Good thing they had a nap today!?! Don't know about that one....

No comments: